Monday, February 2, 2009

"We don't have cheese fries, this is Belgium"

The main square in Brugge.
Brugge
The Grand Place in Brussels.  

  I got to Belgium on Thursday.  After checking into our hostel that was really nice we went out to eat.  We walked around for a while and ended up going to a thai restaurant which was delicious.  We were sharing our hostel room with three Australians who we ended up going out with.   We went to Delirium which is a well known bar in Brussels and has over 2,000 kinds of beer. 
Saturday we did all of Brussels, we went to a chocolate museum, the main square Grand Place which was beautiful.  After that we had a waffle break.  Then we continued to see the pissing boy which is a big thing in Brussels but not that exciting. Then we went to the Costume and Lace museum which was one of my favorite things.  It was an exhibit about the new look of 1947 and they had a lot of great pieces.  After that we headed to the Justice Palace which was unfortunately under construction.  For dinner we went out to eat mussels in Brussels.  I have only eaten mussels one other time a while ago so I was a little nervous.  We ordered the fried mussels which were delicious.  Abby and I shared our food all weekend so I got to eat a wide variety of stuff.  We also ordered fries and onion soup.  I had a raspberry beer which was so good, I wish fruit beer was more popular in the states.  
Saturday we went to Brugge which is an hour away from Brussels.  It was such a cute little town.  Mostly we walked around and took pictures.  We also went to a Salvador Dali exhibit which made me like him a lot more.  I especailly liked his Alice in Wonderland  paintings. We ate delicious fries with a delicious sauce that I can't pronounce while sitting in the main square.  I bought some lace also which Belgium is known for.  While wandering around town we found a sweet used book and music shops.  It was like walking into someone's attic, there were books everywhere it was hard to walk.  I got a vintage copy of Sherlock Holmes for a euro and Abby bought a bunch of records.  After our day trip to Brugge we headed back to Brussels and ate Barbeque for dinner.  We had to leave our hostel at 6:30am on Sunday to catch our flight.  Sunday was pretty uneventful, except for a major creeper hitting on Abby on the train to Florence.  
Overall it was a great trip, Belgium is beautiful and who doesn't love waffle, fries and beer?  It was really relaxing to just travel with one other person.  
 

2 comments:

wgkealey said...

awesome pics! Sounds like you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Did you bring some great chocolate home for your Mom?