Monday, November 17, 2008

...and I don't even like Guinness

Hill of Slane
Remains of Mellifont Abbey
First Celtic Cross
They drive on the opposite side of the street, don't get hit by a car!

I spent most of Thursday traveling.  Train to Pisa, flight to Edinburgh then flight to Dublin.  Good news is that I got three passport stamps from this weekend so thats awesome.  
 Thursday night we got to our hostel around 1am and while my 7 friends that I was traveling with went out I went to sleep because I was really tired.

Friday morning we walked around the city, stopping by Trinity College (the oxford of Ireland) and St. Patrick's Cathedral where my friend Abby got to say the Lord's prayer and a really cute old guy gave us an informal tour.  In the afternoon we went to the Guinness factory which was really cool.  It is a self guided museum that explains about the history of the company and how the beer is made.  I especially enjoyed the section on their advertising campaign where I watched a bunch of their old commercials that were hilarious.  The building is shaped like a giant pint glass and at the top there is a 360 bar where you get a free beer.  It is suppose to be the best Guinness in the world because it comes directly from the brewery.  I did try my beer but I already knew that I didn't like Guinness so I gave it to one of my friends.  
Friday night I went to Hard Rock Cafe with two of my friends.  I know its touristy and american but I don't care!  It was amazing to have buffalo wings and they were playing old music videos that were very entertaining.  I also got a pin to add to my collection. 

Saturday I went on a tour of Celtic landmarks outside of the city including Fourknocks which is a megalithic passage tomb that is 5000 years old, the Hill of Slane where St. Patrick lit a fire to proclaim Christianity to Ireland, Mellifont Abbey which used to be a monastery before Henry VIII destroyed it.  We also saw the first Celtic cross and the tallest one.  The countryside was beautiful, even in November and most of the ruins we were able to climb on which was fun.  We stopped for lunch is a little village pub where we had turkey, mashed potatoes and veggies.  It was delicious and reminded me of a my Grandma.  In the afternoon we went to the Hill of Tara which was the first capital of Dublin.  We chased sheep around and then had hot chocolate from a little cafe.  Our tour guide was excellent, he made all the history really interesting and I learned a lot.  

more later!

1 comment:

mega said...

sounds amazing and so fun!

The first thing I thought when you mentioned the Hard Rock Cafe was, "Did she get a pin?!"

so glad you did!