Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"I think Santa lives here"

Me, Casey and Karina with Grossmunster in the background

The ferry boat ride
View of the city from the top of Grossmunster.  The clock face you see is the biggest in all of Europe.
Grossmunster at night

  This weekend I went to Zurich!  I left Thursday morning and spent 61/2 hours on a train.  It really wasn't that bad, the scenery was beautiful and time flew by.  I went with three of my friends, Casey, Chloe and Karina.  We got there around 4pm and we were so hungry that we immediately went  to find food.  We stumbled across a beerhall that had surprisingly good food...and american coffee!  I had hash browns and eggs, and the waiter was confused when we asked if we could still order breakfast because they don't consider that breakfast.  I snagged a newspaper with Barack Obama on the front and the German headline.  
  
After we dropped our stuff of at the hostel we walked around the city and stumbled upon a outdoor market.  Everyone is so nice in Switzerland and we got some recommendations on where to go from some locals.  We hit up a cool hipster bar that night that had a dj playing an eclectic mix of music. 
  Friday we walked around more, wandering around the main shopping area and finding some great vintage stores.  Then we went to the top of Grossmunster, the main church of Zurich.  The weather was beautiful, although it was cold the sky was clear.  For lunch we went to a famous grill and got delicious bratwurst.  
  
  - A side note: many people have commented about how many times I mention food.  Let me explain, I know that everyone, including myself, loves Italian food.  However there is a difference once you start eating something constantly for two months.  So we I get to eat different food it is amazing and half the fun of traveling.  So that is why I always talk about the food I eat.  

  Friday afternoon we went on a city tour where we went to Framunster, the other big church, and saw the stained glass windows by Marc Chagall, who is one of my favorite artists.  Then we took a cable car up to the top of a mountain where we could see the whole city and lake.  Then we took a ferry boat ride across the lake and drove along the gold  coast where all the rich people live.  

More info and pictures later...I have to go to class.

No comments: