Monday, May 25, 2009

Look at that nice Swedish girl who has her asian friend visiting

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, the last week of school was crazy and then I have been traveling for 10 days.  So here is the first post of the bunch about Stockholm.  I had really wanted to go to Stockholm all year because of my Swedish heritage.  Besides, everything amazing comes from Sweden- IKEA, swedish meatballs, H&M etc.  

We got there on May 14, it was a lot colder than I expected.  It probably would have crossed my mind if I thought about how much more north it is than Italy but it was so hot in Florence when we left that I didn't think about it.  It was still nice the whole nice, sunny but around 65 instead of the 90s in Florence.  
We stayed in Gamla Stan which is the old town, a small island between the other islands.  That night we ate the best swedish meatballs ever! (sorry Mom, yours are good too)  

The next day we walked around Norrmalm, the northern island.  The following day we went to Sodermalm the sothern island that is younger and more hip.  We didn't really do that much, just walked around the city, went shopping and enjoyed their beautiful parks.  We also played a lot of scopa, an italian card game we just learned.  One night we went to this random antique store and talked to the owner for a while.  He told us that the basement of the shop used to be a prison and said some people have seen ghosts down there.  Sadly we did not.  He also asked if I was Swedish which I was very happy about.  

On our last day we went to Skansen, their outdoor museum.  Its called a museum, but its more like a cross between a theme park and a zoo.  They had people dressed in traditional clothing and old historical buildings.  They also had a section of Scandinavian animals.  We saw goats, bears, mooses (plural for moose?) goats, seals, peacocks and a giant bunny.  We ate swedish meatballs again and then sadly had to leave for our flight to Berlin.  

Overall the trip was great.  Everyone was so nice and all the food we ate was delicious.  Stockholm is a beautiful city and I was so glad that I made it to Sweden.  

1 comment:

Chris/Mom said...

I'm glad you had good Swedish meatballs - did you find out their secret? I'll make you some when you get home